I finally finished painting the main portions of the new Raider. All I have left to do is add on the crew hanging off the side and it will be fully finished. Basically, I am trying to figure out how to have the crew set up so when there is a unit in the raider, the crew are there, and when the unit disembarks then I can remove the models hanging on.
Overall it went really smoothly with some exceptions. Basically when I do my next one I will do it completely differently. Here are some quick tips when building/painting your Raider:
- Dont glue the sail section in. Build it (so sails, boom, splinter rifles) and paint it as its own piece. It will take drastically less time as you arent trying to manouver around the edges of the boat
- Dont glue in any of the spears until they are fully painted. I glued mine in and they are such flimsy little pieces its really hard to get a good brush stroke on them. The result of this is my skulls dont really look all that good (not nearly as good as I had hoped).
- The nice thing about not gluing in the sails or spears is it leaves the entire inside of the Raider open and makes it very easy to paint. I just did a metal cat walk for the crew to stand on so all I will have to do on my next one is bust out my tank brush, some metallic paints and some washes and I will be done in no time :)
- Do all the crew seperately and last, once the boat has been finished. Again, allows you to fully detail your models and you can pose the whole boat out in a "dry run" to make sure you like where the hangers on are standing.
- Last and not least DONT glue the plastic stand into the bottom of the boat. This time around they are these wonderful "ball joints" that the plastic stant snaps into, so it sits there on the stand (you can even move it into dynamic poses). Once your game is done and you need to pack up you just pop it off the stand making sure it wont break in transit. Just awesome.
Soon I will have the rest of my first 10 man Warrior squad as well as the crew for the Raider. I was also thinking of doing a "painting tutorial" for this army if people are interested, so let me know :)